A Spirit (精霊 Seirei), also known as a Fairy, is a small being that is owned by a Hero. When their terminal is first activated, they each get a fairy-however, for every time they go Mankai they gain a new fairy. These fairies support the heroes with their attacks and they cannot fight without one. It was then revealed in season one that the heroes are kept alive through any means by the barrier. During the events of a shinkon, if it is intervened past the root protection of the Jukai the spirits are the last line of defense.
After the end of the initial vertex attacks, the Taisha decided to publicly announce their intents of halting the Hero System in exchange for a ceasefire from the Sky Gods who were sending the vertex. In the meantime, they were secretly developing the Hero System for a counterattack in the future, a project which spanned for about 300 years. As allowing a Spirit enter a human body, even if it was a Hero's, would leave some side effects such as being less in control of their emotions, Nogi Wakaba proposed to downsize the Fairies into mascots who would also double for the role of emotional support for the Heroes instead of allowing them inside their bodies in order to repeat the tragedy of Koori Chikage, and Uesato Hinata pushed the rest of the Taisha into implementing them into the improvised Hero System used by future generations.
Canon Spirits Edit
Owned by Yuki Yuna Edit
- Allows Yuna to enlist a powerful punch on her enemies, called the "Hero Punch".
- Allows Yuna to deliver a kick that can cause a fiery explosion, dubbed the "Hero Kick".
Owned by Togo Mimori Edit
- Grants Togo a sniper rifle.
- Allows Togo to use a pistol.
- Allows Togo to utilize a pair of reverse-grip pistols.
- Gives Togo the ability to use automatic and manual floating lasers.
Owned by Inubouzaki Fu Edit
- Grants Fu a large sword for grounded attacks.
- Grants Fu small throwing knives.
Owned by Inubouzaki Itsuki Edit
- Lets Itsuki use long vines to entrap enemies.
- Grants Itsuki a mirror that can reflect powerful beams of light.
Owned by Miyoshi Karin Edit
- Karin can summon many katanas at once.
By Karin's last Mankai at the end of Yuki Yuna is a Hero season one, she would have owned four other fairies. Since the second season's updated version of the Hero System removed the addition of fairies, their names and abilities are unknown.
Owned by Nogi Sonoko Edit
Kurama "Sebastian" Tengu (鴉天狗)Edit
- Gives Sonoko an improved spear.
Sonoko also has twenty other fairies. Three of them, Ryoumensukuna (nicknamed "Sukucchi"), Daidarabocchi (nicknamed "Dai-kun"), and Gashadokuro (nicknamed "Doku") are revealed in the short story Sonoko in Reminiscence. Others include "a baku" and "a pillow-swapping ghost".
In the game, her younger self is given a Robed Mouse named Tesso (鉄鼠).
Non-Canon Spirits Edit
Owned by Minowa Gin Edit
Despite never having a fairy in-universe, it was revealed that if Gin ever had a fairy, it would be named Nurikabe. The original creature it is based on would manifest as a wall, "that impedes or misdirects walking travelers at night. Trying to go around is futile as it extends itself forever". Note this was meant to be a joke.
In the game, she is officially equipped with Suzuka Gozen (鈴鹿御前).
Owned by Nogi Wakaba Edit
- Gives Wakaba the ability to use various sword techniques and increased agility.
- Allows Wakaba to turn into a Great Tengu with enormous wings that brings destruction to the surface.
Owned by Takashima Yuna Edit
- Increases Yuna's speed drastically.
Shuten Doji (酒呑童子)Edit
- Imbues Yuna's body with a tremendous fighting power.
Owned by Doi Tamako Edit
- Summons a large wheel that can be used to attack or to move.
Owned by Iyojima Anzu Edit
- Makes Anzu able to use ice-based attacks
Owned by Koori Chikage Edit
Shichinin Misaki (七人御先)Edit
- Grants Chikage 7 separate bodies that have to be killed simultaneously in order for her to actually die when using it.
Owned by Shiratori Utano Edit
Owned by Akihara Sekka Edit
- According to Sekka, Keizobou can speak through telepathy.
Owned by Kohagura Natsume Edit
Owners Unknown Edit
Mokugyo Daruma (木魚達磨)Edit
Fujiwara no Chikata no Yonki (藤原千方の四鬼)Edit
Toufu Kozou (豆腐小僧)Edit
Trump Cards Edit
- Main Article : Trump Card
Trump Cards were the early usage of Spirits, imbuing their power into one's body and giving them a tremendous set of skills. Any girl could pick one, but they often stayed with 1 or 2. A Trump Card is incredibly dangerous, as it can bring a huge amount of physical kickback onto the body and even mind, as evidenced by Chikage's mental snap.
This system was scrapped, and replaced with the current Hero System.
(The powers were then later used as the Fairies of the Anno Domini heroes in the mobile game.)
- Gyuuki is often seen trying to eat Karin's fairy, Yoshiteru. In episode 7, Yuna is seen chewing on Karin's arm out of hunger, referencing this.